The Milwaukee Bucks have acquired Serge Ibaka as part of a four-team trade on Thursday. Get to know the NBA veteran here.
How long has Ibaka been in the NBA?
This year is Ibaka’s 13th NBA season.
What teams have Ibaka played for?
Four. He played his first seven seasons with the Oklahoma City Thunder from 2009 through the 2015-16 season. He began the 2016-17 season with the Orlando Magic before being traded mid-season to the Toronto Raptors. He spent the next three seasons in Toronto, winning an NBA title along the way in 2018-19. Ibaka has played the last year-plus with the Los Angeles Clippers.
What’s Ibaka’s contract like?
He is under contract through the end of this season.
Where is Ibaka from?
He was born and grew up in Brazzaville, the capital of the Republic of Congo, a central African nation. He is also a citizen of Spain (he spent four years there playing basketball) and has represented the Spanish National Team in international competition, including the Olympics.
How do you say his name?
His last name is pronounced ee-BAHK-ah. His first name is pronounced “Surge” as in “surge protector.”
What’s Ibaka known for? Blocking shots.
Ibaka is known for his shot-blocking and rim protection, which should give the Bucks an added defensive boost in the paint with Brook Lopez still out with a back injury.
Ibaka led the league in blocks during the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons with 3.7 and 3.0 blocks per game, respectively.
Ibaka’s 1,745 career blocks are second among all active players, behind only Dwight Howard of the Los Angeles Lakers. He is 26th all time in blocked shots and with three more he will pass Artis Gilmore on the list.
He led all NBA players during the 2010s in blocks.
How tall is Ibaka?
How old is Ibaka?
32 years old
What are Ibaka’s stats from this season?
6.6 points per game, 4.3 rebounds, 1.0 assists, 0.7 blocks, 49% field goal, 38.7% three point, 69% from the free-throw line (35 games)
What are Ibaka’s career stats?
12.3 points per game, 7.2 rebounds, 0.8 assists, 2.0 blocks 51.3% field goal, 36% three-point, 75.8% from the free-throw line (884 games)
What’s Ibaka’s nickname?
Ma fuzzy, Air Congo, Serge Protector
Who’s Ibaka’s family?
Ibaka is one of 18 children and both his parents were basketball players (his father played professionally in Africa and for the national team of the Republic of Congo. His mother was a member of the national team of the Democratic Republic of Congo. She died when Ibaka was 8 years old.
He was a child during the Second Congo War, the largest war in modern African history. During this time of civil unrest, his father was jailed for working at a port across the border of the neighboring country of the Democratic Republic of Congo, essentially being on the wrong side of the battlefield. Serge’s life story was chronicled in a story published in The Oklahoman while he was a member of the Thunder.
Other facts about Ibaka, including how many languages he speaks and his cooking show
– Three-time member of the all-defensive first-team (2012-14)
– He speaks four languages (English, French, Spanish, Lingala)
– Ibaka has a cooking show on YouTube called “How Hungry Are you?” The show began in 2019. He has his teammates try unique dishes he makes. It’s must-see.
– His fashion, especially his scarves. He teamed with Nobis, a popular premium Canadian outerwear brand, to design a genderless collection that includes a parka, jacket, vests, hats, scarves and more.
– Ibaka has dated R&B singer, songwriter and actress Keri Hilson from (2012-16) as well as Angela Simmons (2017-18), who starred in the reality television series “Run’s House” that chronicled the family life of Joseph Simmons, a former rapper and hip-hop music pioneer.